Sunday, August 2, 2009

Watching the Summer Wind Down

And my parents depart for my homeland. With that the contract enters its final phase.

The days are hot here. Intolerably hot. I spend the day in the air conditioning. The humidity is more oppressive than any Nebraskan summer I can remember. And certainly worse than Nebraska's present conditions. I read, I study, I smoke, I write, I drink coffee. I can't go outside. I won't.I never liked summer. I thought I did in the depths of winter but ultimately I'd prefer that to this.

Sunday is the day of intense reflection, mental preparation, buttressing my mind for the upcoming workload. I go over the texts for the coming weeks and plot my lessons. I look at random graphs and maps. I miss the days of the delivery on Sundays. The Sunday safari. The stoned adventures to the tourist traps around town.

No comments:

Post a Comment